|Address:||Metro-Straße 1, 40235 Duesseldorf, Germany|
|Subsidiaries:||Metro AG, Makro|
|Competitors:||Aldi, Lidl, Carrefour, Tesco, Ahold|
|Web:||google, yahoo, translate|
|Trends:||visitors, linkin 1 / 2, searches, blogs|
|Financial:||google, yahoo, hoovers, bloomberg|
|News:||google, yahoo, indymedia|
|Blogs:||google, technorati, feedster|
|Articles:||g-scholar, g-books, worldcat, bookfinder, del.icio.us, digg|
|Photos:||google, yahoo, flickr, ditto, riya|
|Audio:||podzinger, odeo, podscope|
|Video:||google, youtube, blinkx|
Metro Group is a diversified retail and wholesale/cash and carry group based in Germany.
The company has the largest market share in its home market, and is one of the most globalised retail and wholesale corporations.
If all of the group's operations are included for comparison purposes, Metro is Europe's second largest retailer, after Carrefour of France. Metro employs about 250,000 people.
If Metro's cash and carry operations, which are its largest division, are not counted as retail, it also ranks behind Tesco, and possibly a few other European retailers. The cash and carry division's page on the company's official English language website states that the company is the, "World market leader in the wholesale business", implicity excluding the cash and carry division from the retail sector.
The company operates the following sales divisions:
- Metro and Makro Cash and Carry (Makro stores in the United Kingdom and elsewhere in Europe where acquired from SHV in 1998): This division accounts for nearly half of group sales as of 2004, and is by far the most internationalised division, with stores in almost every country in which the group operates.
- Real: A hypermarket operator. 265 stores in Germany and 34 elsewhere as of early 2005.
- Extra: A supermarket operator. That is, the stores are smaller than the Real stores. As of early 2005, 443 stores, all in Germany.
- Media Markt and Saturn: Media Markt is a consumer electronics company with stores in Germany and several other European countries. Saturn is an electronic media chain, also with stores in Germany and some other European countries.
- Praktiker: A DIY/home improvement chain with stores in several countries.
- Galeria Kauthof: A department store chain with locations in Germany and Belgium.
Metro AG operates stores in the following countries:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Moldova, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom,
China, India, Japan, Vietnam,
The company was established in 1964 by Otto Beisheim.
In the 2003 calendar year, Metro had sales of €53,965 million. Profit before tax was €817 million, and group net profit was €496 million. In the early years of the 21st century, Metro has had a lower growth rate than many of its global competitors. This is partly due to the weakness of the German economy.
Metro Group Duesseldorf Germany Europe Asia Morocco Retail Supermarket Wholesale 100.000-plus employees 1964