|Norma Precision AB|
|Phone:||+46 (0)571 315|
|Fax:||+46 (0)571 315 40|
|Address:||670 20 Åmotfors, Sweden|
Norma Precision AB is a Swedish manufacturer of ammunition.
Norma has a yearly production of about 23 million rounds in 70 calibers. This means that Norma has one of the largest sortiments of rifle ammunition in the world.
Norma was started in 1902 by the Enger brothers from Oslo, who a few years earlier started "Norma Projektilfabrik A/S". The name Norma has, contrary to what someone would think, nothing to do with norwegian. The name was chosen because one of the Enger brothers was very fond of the Norma (opera) by Bellini.
The Swedish shooting movement needed a Swedish supplier and "Norma Projektilfabrik A/S" was asked to establish in Swedish. By this time, Sweden and Norway were united. The Enger brothers took the train to Sweden and established their company about 20km from the border, in Åmotfors.
From start to the middle of the century, the production was dominated by military ammunition standards. After a while though, hunting ammunition seemed to be more interesting. Norma began to make international connections by this time. This, combined with military interest, forced forward a modern thinking and new products, which had impressing precision.
Nils Kvale and Roy Weatherby have been unvaluable for Normas success under the latter half of the 20th century. Nils Kvale was a visionary and competent product developer.
In the 1960s, a couple of new calibers was introduced on the market. Nils Kvales cooperation with American colleagues made Norma well known as a producer of high quality rifle ammunition.
- 1895 Norma projektilfabrik A/S in Oslo is founded.
- 1902 A small factory is opened in Åmotfors with one employee and two machines.
- 1911 A factory is built.
- 1940 Powerful expansion. 10 new factories are added.
- 1942 800 employees.
- 1950 Norma starts to sell hunting ammunition by export.
- 1965 Fusion between Norma and Svenska Metallverken.
- 1967 Opening of a new factory with 530 employees.
- 1975 Hasselfors Bruks AB becomes new owner.
- 1979 FFV becomes new owner. Structural rationalisation. The military production moves to Vanäsverken.
- 1990 Dynamit Nobel Tyskland becomes new owner.
- 2002 Ruag Ammotech AG becomes new owner.