|Phone:||+49 211 6886 0|
|Address:||Metro-Straße 1, 40235 Duesseldorf, Germany|
|Subsidiaries:||Metro AG, Makro|
|Competitors:||Aldi, Lidl, Carrefour, Tesco, Ahold|
|See also:||Makro, Finmeccanica, Sony, HSBC, TriStar Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Ayala Corporation, PARKnSHOP, Banco de Oro Universal Bank, Metropolitan Bank and Trust Company, Cartoon Network Studios, Minnesota Public Radio, Silverlink, National Express Group, United Artists, Viacom, Bechtel Corporation, Serco, Alaska Airlines,|
|Web:||google, yahoo, translate|
|Trends:||visitors, linkin 1 / 2, searches, blogs|
|Financial:||google, yahoo, hoovers, bloomberg|
|News:||google, yahoo, indymedia|
|Blogs:||google, technorati, feedster|
|Articles:||g-scholar, g-books, worldcat, bookfinder, del.icio.us, digg|
|Photos:||google, yahoo, flickr, ditto, riya|
|Audio:||podzinger, odeo, podscope|
|Video:||google, youtube, blinkx|
Metro Group is a diversified retail and wholesale/cash and carry group based in Germany.
The company has the largest market share in its home market, and is one of the most globalised retail and wholesale corporations.
If all of the group's operations are included for comparison purposes, Metro is Europe's second largest retailer, after Carrefour of France. Metro employs about 250,000 people.
If Metro's cash and carry operations, which are its largest division, are not counted as retail, it also ranks behind Tesco, and possibly a few other European retailers. The cash and carry division's page on the company's official English language website states that the company is the, "World market leader in the wholesale business", implicity excluding the cash and carry division from the retail sector.
The company operates the following sales divisions:
- Metro and Makro Cash and Carry (Makro stores in the United Kingdom and elsewhere in Europe where acquired from SHV in 1998): This division accounts for nearly half of group sales as of 2004, and is by far the most internationalised division, with stores in almost every country in which the group operates.
- Real: A hypermarket operator. 265 stores in Germany and 34 elsewhere as of early 2005.
- Extra: A supermarket operator. That is, the stores are smaller than the Real stores. As of early 2005, 443 stores, all in Germany.
- Media Markt and Saturn: Media Markt is a consumer electronics company with stores in Germany and several other European countries. Saturn is an electronic media chain, also with stores in Germany and some other European countries.
- Praktiker: A DIY/home improvement chain with stores in several countries.
- Galeria Kauthof: A department store chain with locations in Germany and Belgium.
Metro AG operates stores in the following countries:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Moldova, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom,
China, India, Japan, Vietnam,
The company was established in 1964 by Otto Beisheim.
In the 2003 calendar year, Metro had sales of €53,965 million. Profit before tax was €817 million, and group net profit was €496 million. In the early years of the 21st century, Metro has had a lower growth rate than many of its global competitors. This is partly due to the weakness of the German economy.
- Impinj and METRO Group to Jointly Develop UHF RFID Item-Level ... - MoreRFID (press release)
- More on Garment Tagging -- Impinj and METRO - RFID News
- Metro to Tag Garments and Accessories - RFID Journal
- Impinj and METRO Group to Jointly Develop UHF RFID Item-Level ... - Market Wire (press release)
- RFID software applies "business logic" to data - TUV Product Service
- Ambulance provider Rural/Metro leaving county - Gulf Breeze News
- Carrefour, Wal-Mart Boost China Sales on New Outlets - FreshPlaza
- Metro Cash&Carry Romania Sales Up 15% in 2006 - Bursa
- Girl students eligible for micro credits, too - Turkish Daily News (subscription)
- Vue Technology Provides UHF Item-Level Solutions to Metro Group ... - SYS-CON Media
- ... more news
- RFID Tag: Impinj And METRO Group To Jointly Develop UHF RFID Item ...
- Metro group anticipates more study time
- Vue Technology Provides UHF Item-Level Solutions to Metro Group ...
- Girl students eligible for micro credits, too
- Metro group seeking momentum
- Large Metro Group RFID Trial Claims Strong Read Accuracy
- Checkpoint and Metro Group Partner on 'Dock Door'
- Metro Group Acquires H&K Publisher
- Dock Door Solution: Checkpoint Systems Partners With Metro Group ...
- Retail giant METRO Group selects UPM Raflatac Gen2 RFID inlays for ...
- ... more blog news
- METRO Group Corporate Film 2007
- RFID Application Innovation: Early Adopter Case Studies
- Weltmeiser Von Morgen (Projekt der Metro Group)
- METRO Group Corporate Film 2007
- Prowokujaca Reklama Saturn
- POTKAL fragman
- interactive multitouch cocktail bar 02
- Metro group
- Premier Metro Group Needs a Fifth MFM - CompHealth - Georgia
- ORACLE DEVELOPER - Metro Group - Fort Lauderdale, FL
- .Net Developer - Metro Group - Miami, FL
- Programmer Analyst - Metro Group - Orlando, FL
- Database Analyst Business supp - Metro Group - Buffalo, NY
- Senior IIS Engineer - Metro Group - Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Network Administrator - Metro Group - Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Oracle Developer - Metro Group - Miami Gardens, FL
- Handyman - METRO GROUP MANAGEMENT - Bloomfield, MI
- PAINTER Exterior - METRO GROUP MANAGEMENT - Bloomfield, MI
- Architectural Staff - Metro Group Architects - Ann Arbor, MI
- Florida Urology Group Position - CompHealth - Florida
- Florida Orthopedic Group Position - CompHealth - Florida
Metro Group Duesseldorf Germany Europe Asia Morocco Retail Supermarket Wholesale 100.000-plus employees 1964