Lockheed Martin Space Systems
Lockheed Martin Space Systems is a major unit of Lockheed Martin. From a rich history of major companies Lockheed Martin has brought them together to offer:
- Design & production of launch vehicles
- Design, production of launch of satellites for every market
- and missile systems.
RCA Astro Electronics, a division of RCA was formed in the late 1950s and went on to become one of the leading manufacturers of satellites and related systems. RCA Astro Electronics was based in East Windsor, New Jersey. When General Electric purchased RCA in 1986 Astro Electronics was renamed GE Astro Space. This was sold to Martin Marietta in 1993 and became part of Lockheed Martin in 1995 following that company's merger with the Lockheed Corporation.
In 1995 Lockheed Martin announced the closure of the New Jersey facility and the relocation of operations to Sunnyvale, California. The New Jersey facility finished the orders it had and closed in 1998. Lockheed Martin Space Systems is now based in Sunnyvale.
- Launch Systems
- Missile Defense Systems
- Design and production of commercial geosynchronous telecommunications satellites.
- Secure communications, e.g. Milstar
- GPS elements
NASA and Civil Space Systems
- Varied NASA projects, e.g. Hubble Telescope (a former Lockheed project)
- Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles (SLBMs)
- Lockheed Martin Space Systems
[[Category:]] [[Category:]] [[Category:]]