|European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company EADS N.V.|
|Address:||Le Carré, Beechavenue 130-132, 1119 PR Schiphol Rijk, Netherlands. (Germany:) Ottobrunn, Germany|
|Type:||of type:research, of type:manufacturing|
|Subsidiaries:||Eurocopter, EADS Space, EADS Astrium, EADS Sodern, CILAS|
|Competitors:||Boeing, NASA, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems|
EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space) is a large European industrial corporation in the aerospace research and development sector.
EADS is legally incorporated in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, but the company's headquarter is located in Ottobrunn, south of Munich, Germany.
The company has about 70 production sites worldwide.
- Airbus S.A.S.
EADS owns 80% of Airbus in a joint ownership with BAE Systems which owns the remaining 20% (May 2004). Airbus headquarters are located in Toulouse, France.
- Military Transport Aircraft
EADS Socata, manufacturer of small aircraft
- 100% shareholder in satellite company EADS Astrium (after buying out BAE Systems' 25% stake on 30 January 2003). Astrium is based in Toulouse, France, and the CEO is Antoine Bouvier. The number of employees, as of 2004, is 6092, spread among four countries: France (2445; 40%), UK (2136; 35%), Germany (1279; 21%), and Spain (232; 4%).
- 100% shareholder in EADS SPACE Transportation, responsible for the Ariane launchers and orbital systems such as Columbus. The CEO is Alain Charmeau.
- 100% shareholder in EADS SPACE Services, formed mostly from Paradigm Secure Communications Ltd, a defence satellite operator for the UK MoD (operating the Skynet 5 system)
- 28% shareholder in space transport operator Arianespace (largest commercial shareholder)
- CEO is François Auque.
Defence and Security Systems
- Defence Electronics, the sensors and avionics house of EADS
Military Aircraft, including products such as the Mako/HEAT, and stakes in the following companies:
- Dassault Aviation (45.76%), manufacturer of fighters and other military aircraft
- Eurofighter GmbH (46%), manufacturer of Eurofighter Typhoon.
- eurocopter (100% ownership), manufacturer of light and medium civil and military helicopters. The CEO is Fabrice Brégier and the headquarters are in Marignane, France.
- MBDA (37.5%)
- Defence and Communications Systems, electronics/software system house
As of 31 December 2004, about one-third of EADS stock is publicly traded in six European stock markets and the rest is divided among three major business entities.
- Publicly traded: 34.08% (Includes 3.55% held by EADS employees, .06% held by French government, and .78% held by EADS itself. Traded on Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid, Bilbao, Barcelona and Valencia stock exchanges.)
- DaimlerChrysler: 30.2%
- SOGEADE: 30.2% (50% French government body, SOGEPA and 50% Désirade)
- SEPI: 5.52% (Spanish state holding company)
On July 17, 2004 The Economist reported that the three major shareholders, DaimlerChrysler, SOGEADE and SEPI, intend to sell their shares by 2006–2007. DaimlerChrysler would like extra capital to invest in its core activities, the Lagardère Group (controls Désirade) wants to withdraw from defence aerospace, and the French government is pursuing privatisation where appropriate.
EADS was formed in July 2000, by the merger of Aérospatiale-Matra of France, Dornier and DaimlerChrysler Aerospace AG (DASA) of Germany, and Construcciones Aeronáuticas SA (CASA) of Spain, with the aim of becoming the world's second largest aerospace company (after Boeing).
In November 2003, EADS announced that it was considering working with Japanese companies, and the Japanese Ministry of International Trade and Industry, to develop a hypersonic airliner intended to be a larger, faster, and quieter, replacement for the Concorde, which was retired in October the same year.
Attributes of EADS — Click (+) to find similar articles.
founding year: 2,000 (+)
number of employees: 110,000 (+)