Antenna, better known as ANT1, is a popular television and radio station in Greece. ANT1 name is pronounced "Antenna", because the Greek word for 1 is éna.
Antenna also has a radio station. On satellite which owns NovaSat, Antenna can be seen only on NovaSat. ANT1 was originally diffused to Odyssey Television Network (OTN) in Canadian satellite and digital systems. ANT1 is one of the stations that does not have local affiliates that also broadcasts ANT1.
The company is located in Maroussi. an suburb. Its main Athens signals is on Mount Hymettus. Others are scattered across Greece and Cyprus. The rest are on digital networks.
The company's present slogan (from late-2003) is: "Vlépo/Blépo ANT1", which means "I'm watching ANT1 in English".
ANT1 obtains viewing statistics from Metronanalysis.
The first broadcast began in the late-1980s. Programs like Wheel of Fortune (Greek Version), and Oi Men Kai Oi Den were among being the top 10 shows in the nation or state of Greece. Cartoons are offered in the morning. Most of them are shown in the Greek language.
Today they are offered only on Weekend mornings. Studio me Thea replaced Saturday morning (8 to 11am Balkans-Nile Valley Time, a time zone not to confuse with other names with the same GMT+2 time zone like Balkans, Finland, Mozambique Time zones, etc.) cartoons for Fall, Winter and Spring.
Programs that were shown on ANT1 were CBS Evening News from America. NBC News in Greece is shown on NBC Europe, see also NBC, and not on any other channels. ANT1 Satellite News was also shown until the late 1990s.
A 30-second commercial which is shown only on ANT1, and sometimes Star Channel shows all the guide to Greece's beaches, and sunny beaches.
The ANT1 logo is colored with gold with ANT flattened 20 degrees to the right and the #1 is bolded at size 2. At the left edges of the #1, two lines starting from A to 1. The line at the top is short and the line at the bottom is almost long. The logo is placed at the top-left on ANT1.
1986 or 1987 Construction of Antenna TV station begun. Construction continued until Antenna began operations of satellite. Signals were being put all over the country.
1987 or 1988 Antenna began operation of broadcasting in Greece.
early to mid 1990s Antenna began launching ANT1 in Cyprus, ANT1 Satellite for North American viewers, and ANT1 Pacific in Australia. The broadcasting hour was short and was broadcasted 8 hours live (7:00 PM EAST to 3:00 AM EAST), and reruns from 9 AM EAST to 5 PM EAST until 1999. HRT from the Croatian Information Centre was also broadcasted on the same channel.
1992 Kalimera Ellada (Good Morning Greece) was launched as the first morning show in Greece.
1992 or 1993 Lampsis and Kalimera Zoi passes the 1000th episode milestone.
mid-1990s Antenna and Skai (Sky) now Alpha-TV were the number one channels as indicated in some commercials The ANT1 slogan (ANT1 noúmero éna) was used until 1999 after their ratings were #1 in Hellenic speaking television. Some programs throughout the 1990s were being number one.
- Antenna.gr hit the worldwide web, some prefer antenna.com.gr.
- Channels like Alpha, and Mega surpassed Mega Viewers, which made ANT1 fall from #1 to #2 and #3.
- ANT1 satellite welcomes on channel 604 on Dish Network in America (USA), see DISH Network and Echostar for more.
- Channels like Alpha, and Mega surpassed Antenna viewers and later Alter and Tempo, which made ANT1 fall from #1 to #2, #3 and #4 most watched channel in Greece. Their slogan, ANT1, Noumero Ena (ANT1, #1) is no longer in use. "ANT1 Ola Gia Sena" ("ANT1, all for you") was the next slogan. The slogan for ANT1 Satellite and Pacific, is "Einai Oikogeneia, Einai Oikogeneia", "A family is a family".
- Lampsis and Kalimera Zoi passes the 2000th episode milestone.
- 1997-1999 Originally at 8:30, extended by an hour to 7:30 PM (Balkan-Nile Time).
- September 1999 ANT1 Satellite and Pacific extended programming to 16 hours of broadcasting and also adds live news coverage.
late-2000 ANT1 Satellite and Pacific begins to broadcast all-day and removed HRT to cable for satellite viewers.
- ANT1 cuts the news by half-an-hour which means the news is now on from 7:30 to 8 PM (Balkan-Nile Time).
- ANT1 buys NovaSat and contracted with the state/country of Bulgaria in broadcasting rules.
- ANT1 Profits began to fall It started from the $15 (American) range to $1.50 in the following weeks.
- ANT1 in North America moved to channel 605 on Dish Network. Also, ANT1 first broadcast digital, aka satellite channel ANT1 Gold. It was called ANT1"Gold" because these shows were the most popular at the time, being #1 for most of the time. Cartoons are probably not shown on this channel.
- Ratings for Ta Nea Tou ANT1 peaks at around 200,000, while Alter and Star reaches 250,000
- In September 2002 ANT1 changes its slogan to kainourgios kosmos (different world in English) while more shows were coming.
2003 Low profit means ANT1 profits listed as ANTV on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) was no longer seen on ANT1 satellite.