- the free business directory
I’ve been busy with several Wikicompany developments.
There is now an “add a company profile” web form. The old-way to create a new article was a bit too complex for most users. So, if you have a company profile to share, please do so. There are still some usability issues (image uploads, AJAX suggests for tag inputs) which I need to fix.
I’ve for some time been pondering the use of tags instead of categories. Wikicompany is now migrating to the Web2.0 world of tagging, but with a twist. The tags get a semantical annotation (and are then also RDF compliant!).
Reasons for this ’switch’?
- The category system is too strict and maintenance heavy.
- Listen to this great presentation “What Time Does to Categories” by Clay Shirky to understand the underlying reasons for this statement.
- Easier input system for users.
- Better search and browse possibilities.
- Better REST web service integration, needed for internal and external content syndication.
For more details look here.
Then finally I implemented a true REST web service API for Wikicompany. The API supports RSS2.0/ATOM/JSON/HTML output. With the RSS output now supporting all profile fields. At some point a “HTTP PUT” interface may also be setup if there is a need. Some VNU Examples:
Once the semantic tagging system is working more complex queries can be answered.
Feedback is welcome via this blog, the mailinglist, or send an email to: infoATwikicompany.org