- the free business directory
Marketing 0.5April 22, 2006 on 10:12 pm | In wikicompany, marketing, business, semanticweb | No Comments
The semantical tag interface is improving, see eg. the list of companies active in germany.
In other news: Today I received a free Google Adwords coupon for 50 Euro. It will be interesting to play with this subtle, but well designed, ad campaign tool. Perhaps it will even benefit the project in some way.
I made some Wikicompany marketing material for the occasion. Click on the globe to promote your business via Wikicompany.
Semantic tagging coming alongApril 17, 2006 on 4:08 pm | In semweb, wikicompany, semanticweb, usability, tagging, rss | No Comments
Part of the transition from categories to semantic tags is now done on Wikicompany.
See the tags on these examples: Full Sail Brewing, VNU, Atos Origin
The tag browsing interface is still primitive, but because of the REST web service, a RSS feed with detailed info is available for each company, so many more details can be presented (logo, other tags, phone numbers, subsidiaries, etc).
Even mediawiki extensions can be used within the tag interface, as can be seen in the examples. This really shows the power of a good wiki platform, instead of a traditional CMS.
Semantic tagging todo's:
- A commandline tool to extract the semantic relations from every article and dump these into the SMW tables.
- The new company input form should register semantic annotations automatically.
- A more usable interface for browsing tags, with dynamic filters
- Better usability when searching and browsing tag-sets. Something like the ShopWiki page styles seems nice.
- Move to REST URLs and services for the tag browse interface
- Uniform multi-word tag input / output (not often needed, but still important)
- A "related tags" function (based on the graph analyis of tags)
- Flickr and delicious tag integration ("show the 5 most interesting pictures and links belonging to this set of tags"). Open web services are simply delicious.
- Google maps rendering of companies per tag-set? I'm actually thinking to redo some of the geo interfaces on Wikicompany. Eg. provide a full-screen browse interface, in addition to the normal gmap view.
Another project I'm working on is a web crawler for creating company profiles from just a URL. Not an easy task, but very interesting work. Since the amount of user contributions is currently very low, this may provide a way to get many more free company profiles.
Powered by WordPress with Pool theme design by Borja Fernandez.
Entries and comments feeds. Valid XHTML and CSS. ^Top^